1. Which one of the following constitutes the two best reasons for distinguishing the living from
the non living?
(a) Growth and locomotion
(b) Irritability and locomotion
(c) Respiration and excretion
(d) Reproduction and locomotion
2.The largest living bird is
3. Which of the following are the only mammals that possess nucleated red blood corpuscles?
a) l and 2
(b) 2 and 3
(c )3 and 4
4 When compared to the mammals, birds are less sensitive to temporary deprivation of water, be
(a) urea excretion in mammals entails a greater loss of water than that in birds.
(A’) the water requirement per unit weight is less in birds than in mamtnals.
(c) absorption of water from the gut is more efficient in birds than in mammals.
(d) None of these
5. Birds get thrust (forward motion) and lift (upward motion) from
(a) air sacs .
b) flapping of wings
(c) twisting of feathers
(d) shape of wings which is similar to aeroplane blades
6. The mammal which lays eggs is
7. Hormones are normally absent in
8. The blood sucking organisms are
(d) Pin worms
9. ‘The blue coloured blood of this marine creature is used to test safety of drugs. It is found
abundantly along Orissa coast’.
The given description fits
(d) Horse shoe crab
10.From which stage of silkmoth is silk obtained?
11. The gestation period of cows is
(b) 280 days
(d) 365 days
12. 50. Pick out the wrong pair
Animal Gestation period
(a) Monkey —300 days
(Li)Elephant —600 days
(c)Cow — 280 days
(d)Pig — 68 days
13.Taenia solium (Tape worm) lives as a parasite in(a)pig
(b) abdomen of man
(c)intestine of man
d) liver of man
14. Which of the following is an egg laying mammal?
(b) Scaly ant -eater
(d) Spiny ant -eater
15. The human immuno deficiency virus (HIV) is a living entity because it can
(a) move from one cell to another
(b) undergo autoreproduction
(c) disturb host cell respiration
(d) excrete in human sperm